On this final Sunday of Advent, Pastor David preaches from Psalm 85 on the topic of peace. How does this psalm point us to God’s activity in the past, present, and future? How is it fulfilled in Jesus Christ?
Listening is such an important skill to learn. Some of us were born with a tendency to speak (or scream!) more often than not. Others of us were born as more quiet infants. But all of us have had to learn – and must continue to learn – the art of listening. This is more than just hearing what someone else says, but really trying to understand that person from his or her perspective.
Yesterday afternoon I had one such opportunity, which I’d like to share with you today. Continue reading
Happy New Year! On this second Sunday of January, we will worship the Lord in song and through scripture:
- Welcome/Announcements: We take care of the business of the church.
- Opening Prayer: We invite God to be attentive to our worship of him.
- “Whom Shall I Fear?”: We sing a song of praise that reminds us that God is always right by our side.
- Responsive Reading (Psalm 29): We recite an ancient song that celebrates the power of God and the peace that he gives his people.
- “God of Wonders”: We continue in praise by worshiping the Lord of heaven and earth.
- Offering: We give our tithes and offerings as an act of thanksgiving to our almighty Lord.
- “Victory in Jesus”: We sing a song of testimony, because the power of God transforms our lives!
- Scripture Reading (Isaiah 43:1-7): The Old Testament prophet reminds us that God loves us and is always with us.
- “Wonderful Peace”: This hymn of reflection speaks of the peace we have because God is with us.
- Scripture Reading (Luke 3:15-17, 21-22): In this gospel reading, John the Baptist points the way to Jesus and then baptizes Jesus.
- “Open My Eyes That I May See”: As a response to the glory revealed at Jesus’s baptism, we prepare for prayer by asking God to open our eyes to see Jesus, too.
- Prayer: We lift up our requests before the ever-present, ever-loving Lord.
- Special Music: Our faithful piano player Deann Smith will present an instrumental offering of worship to the Lord.
- Message: Our guest preacher for the day will be Pastor Jim Shanks, a good friend of ours from Eagle Ridge Church of God.
- “Consecration”: We close the service by consecrating ourselves to the Lord’s service.
- Benediction: We depart in peace, knowing that Christ goes with us everywhere we go.
Come and worship!